Minami Tamaki is receiving inquiries from employees, consumers, businesses, and community members regarding a wide range of legal issues related to coronavirus (COVID-19) in the San Francisco Bay Area. Recognizing the need for reliable information and assistance, Minami Tamaki has formed a Coronavirus (COVID-19) Task Force to address legal issues arising in the ongoing pandemic.
The Minami Tamaki Coronavirus (COVID-19) Task Force is addressing issues including:
- Employee Rights. Providing information to employees regarding sick leave entitlement, wage and hour issues, unemployment benefits, telecommuting issues, layoffs / furloughs / shutdowns / reduced schedules, and WARN Act compliance.
- Health and Safety. Addressing public health issues related to wearing masks at work, OSHA compliance, and retaliation for raising issues regarding employer obligation to provide a safe workplace.
- Advising Small Businesses. Advising on the CARES Act,the Paycheck Protection Program, and the impact of other legislation on businesses’ response to coronavirus.
- Anti-Asian Hate Crimes. Advocacy to address racist and xenophobic attacks against Asian Americans who have been blamed for the pandemic in the U.S.
- Refunds for Cancelled Events and Memberships. Investigating legal action regarding cancelled concerts and festivals (including tickets purchased through sites such as StubHub and Ticketmaster), cancelled professional sports, gym memberships, and theme park memberships.
- Refunds for Cancelled Airfare. Investigating legal action regarding airlines who have refused to provide refunds to travelers whose flights have been cancelled.
- Price Gouging. Taking action against sellers who have raised prices on major necessities to excessive levels to extract profits from consumers.
- Business Interruption Insurance Claims. Counseling policy holders on insurance coverage of business losses due to coronavirus. While some insurance policies exclude pandemics, other policy holders may be able to seek coverage protecting against economic losses.
- Commercial Contracts. Advising clients on contractual issues, including “force majeure” clauses and whether parties are excused from performance of duties.
If you have questions regarding legal issues arising from the ongoing pandemic, you may contact the Minami Tamaki Coronavirus (COVID-19) Task Force online or call us at 415-788-9000.
*The contents of this article are for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Readers should contact a licensed California attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular legal matter. Information on this website may not constitute the most up-to-date legal or other information. Use of this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between the reader and Minami Tamaki LLP.